Yesterday, I got back to making more ollas. I changed the design a little and I’m experimenting with getting my volume more accurate. I didn’t really like the straight neck with the ‘cup’ type of lid. I think it’s what you want with an olla that is used to cool your water but for one that goes in the ground, I think a more ‘organic’ form is proper. So, these guys look a little gourdish.
Another concern was being able to carry an olla with one hand. The straight necked one would require you to carry it in your palm or grasp it around the neck, requiring a certain amount of grip strength. With the flared rim, you should be able to carry it much easier. Plus, the flared rim will allow you to store it upside down. The round bottom tends to make them roll. Maybe it will help solve that issue also.
As for volume; I wanted to get more accurate so I found a 1 U.S. pint jar and slid it down into the clay cylinder while I was making the first new olla on the potters wheel. It fit with room to spare so I just made the vessel a little taller and added some shape to it. I’ll call these ‘One Pint’ sized. They should hold more than a pint but I think I’ve found a simple and more accurate way to describe my sizes. Once I get them fired, I’ll fill one up with a measuring cup and see how much water it holds.